[attrition] Five Dollar Security; You Get What You Pay For

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Mon Jan 2 03:04:07 CST 2012

http://attrition.org/security/rants/you_get_what_you_pay_for/

Five Dollar Security; You Get What You Pay For
Mon Jan 2 03:00:32 CST 2012

The old phrase "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is" is very
common, and usually well founded. After seeing an offer for a $5 "security
status" of a website, we just had to test it out. Since the service is
being offered by a Certified Ethical Hacker (C|EH) with 13 years of
experience, who has "wrote professional tools for the job", we expected
the results of a commercial vulnerability scanner such as Nessus, Nexpose,
or OpenVAS at the very least.

[..]