[attrition] review: Movie: Hanna

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sun Sep 18 16:06:24 CDT 2011

http://attrition.org/movies/hanna.html

By: Martums

Brace yourselves, kiddies.

There is something extraordinary about Cate Blanchet, and I am almost
ashamed that I cannot identify it. She is mysterious, powerful, and a
performer talented beyond measure. I challenge you to find someone who can
equal her in her vast arsenal of skills. Of course, limiting you to mere
mortals makes the challenge futile.

The story of Hanna itself is interesting, beguiling to follow, and yet
unremarkable. A genetically engineered soldier, nearly perfect in
strength, tactics, and cunning (yes, the cliché hammer just slammed into
the side of my head). Buffy meets Universal Soldier, (UGH, I just vomited
in my mouth a bit, thinking of the latter). While Seth Lochhead and David
Farr have done pretty decent work to differentiate themselves from those
of similar material, it is the stunning visual presentations of scenery
and sets which, coupled with a handful of enthusiastically entertaining,
if not mesmerizing, performances that will satisfy your demand for
continual stimulation and prevent you from popping another Prozac or
Adderall until the credits roll.

[...]