[attrition] Outgunned: How Security Tech Is Failing Us

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Mon Oct 11 17:42:13 CDT 2010

http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/antivirus/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=227700360

Outgunned: How Security Tech Is Failing Us

Our testing shows we're spending billions on defenses that are no match
for the stealthy attacks being thrown at us today. What can be done?

By Greg Shipley
InformationWeek
October 9, 2010 12:00 AM (From the October 11, 2010 issue)

Information security professionals face mounting threats, hoping some mix
of technology, education, and hard work will keep their companies and
organizations safe. But lately, the specter of failure is looming larger.

"Pay no attention to the exploit behind the curtain" is the message from
product vendors as they roll out the next iteration of their all-powerful,
dynamically updating, self-defending, threat-intelligent, risk-mitigating,
compliance-ensuring, nth-generation security technologies. Just pony up
the money and the manpower and you'll be safe from what goes bump in the
night.

Thing is, the pitch is less believable these days, and the atmosphere is
becoming downright hostile.

We face more and larger breaches, increased costs, more advanced
adversaries, and a growing number of public control failures. Regulation
and litigation have both increased. We're still struggling with the
expensive PCI initiative, an effort as controversial as its efficacy is
questionable--U.S. businesses continue to hemorrhage credit card numbers
and personally identifiable information. The tab for the Heartland Payment
Systems breach, which compromised 130 million card numbers, is reportedly
at $144 million and counting. The Stuxnet worm, a cunning and highly
targeted piece of cyberweaponry, just left a trail of tens of thousands of
infected PCs. Earlier this month, the FBI announced the arrest of
individuals who used the Zeus Trojan to pilfer $70 million from U.S.
banks. Zeus is in year three of its reign of terror, impervious to law
enforcement, government agencies, and the sophisticated information
security teams of the largest financial services firms on the planet.

[..]