[attrition] State of the Attrition Address (redux)

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sun May 23 20:19:37 CDT 2010

http://attrition.org/news/content/10-05-23.001.html

Sun May 23 18:58:06 CDT 2010
Attrition Staff

As you may have *not* have noticed, Attrition has had a little bit of
downtime lately. For the most part, this has been limited to business
hours, Monday through Friday, from opening to closing bells on the world
financial markets. It all began long ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

The last time this happened, there was a slight issue with noise coming
from the box. The problem had been dealt with swiftly each time; as the
box made sounds signalling its impending doom, it was kicked. Notice that
the previous "kicked" was not in quotation marks; it was literally
*kicked* with a human foot to make the noise stop. This solution actually
worked... for about a month. Much as the way that Cancer Omega kicks
liberals, the noises soon stopped, but the whining soon started again. It
was then decided that a new box would be deployed, and what we have been
using since then has simply been called "New Forced".

Four and a half years later...

In early March, "New Forced" unexpectedly went silent. Our NOC noticed
that the box had shut itself down, and called us on our Bat-Phone early
one Sunday morning. During the conversation, it was mentioned that the box
was giving off, well, a *smell* that would usually indicate Southern-fried
hardware. As the box was booted back up, the smell persisted, but it held
up... for about 30 seconds. Then it was down again. One more reboot
attempt succeeded, and it remained up, but we knew that a box like "New
Forced" could only take so much d2d virtual leg-humping, so...

[...]