[attrition] review: movie: Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" By Sapphire

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sat Mar 20 01:53:07 UTC 2010

http://attrition.org/movies/precious.html

Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" By Sapphire
2009
Review by: CJI

Last night I watched what was probably the most depressing movie I've seen
since Requiem for a Dream (which was depressing because the Jennifer
Connolley scenes weren't longer). "Precious" is about a sixteen-year-old
African American girl, played by newcomer Gabourey Sidibe, growing up in
Harlem in 1987. Every time you think "Wow, this girl has the worst life
ever", the plot adds something else to show you how it could, in fact, be
worse. First the obvious: she looks dangerously obese (supported by her
eating habits of fried chicken and pigs feet). Then you meet her mother,
who beats her until she's unconscious. And then you learn this
sixteen-year-old is not only pregnant, but has another baby already - with
Down Syndrome. Oh, and both times she got pregnant due to being raped. By
her father. The downward spiral doesn't end there, but I'll keep from
spoiling most of it.

[...]