[attrition] PGP.Com Sucks (OSX support)

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Sat Aug 29 01:48:35 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Forno <rforno at infowarrior.org>

Snow Leopard comes out for OSX users today. OSX 10.6.  Hurray!

While watching the Redskins-Patriots on the big screen, I go about trying
to upgrade my test laptop only to discover the Apple DVD is not
recognizing the hard drive as something that can support OSX.  WTFO?
Resourceful as ever, I begin to Google for answers.

As I Google, an email[1] arrives from PGP.COM saying that their current
product is incompatible with 10.6 and if users want to use PGP they should
not upgrade but that if we "intend to upgrade to Snow Leopard, you must
decrypt all PGP encrypted drives and uninstall PGP Desktop before
upgrading the system to Mac OS X 10.6."  They go on to say that 10.6
support is forthcoming in their next major release but offer no details on
when it will be, except to say they're accepting beta applications now.

*blink*

Taking beta applications now? There are freeware and shareware developers
whose products are fully compatible with 10.6 and PGP only now is
soliciting beta testers?  Did the company just realize that OSX 10.6 was
coming out today?  Didn't they get the memo?  Are there no OSX users at
PGP Headquarters?

So back to my stalled Snow Leopard upgrade on my laptop:  Thanks to
Google's timely archiving of the Apple support boards[2] I found out that
not only did I have to uninstall PGP, repair disk permissions, and reboot
(which still didn't fix the problem), but since PGP apparently does
something to the OSX partition table, I had to enter Disk Utility and
dynamically resize my laptop's hard drive a few megabytes in size just so
a new partition table could be written --- at which point I was able to
install OSX 10.6 just fine. (Note that I had installed, but did not use,
PGP on this computer, and certainly did not use their Whole Disk
Encryption.)  What kind of stuff did PGP have to write to my partition
table to make it unreadable by Apple's own installation disk?

Unfortunately, after many years of dealing with their quirky product
registration system and hiccups with routine OS upgrades, tonight's news
has forced to say that PGP has lost me as a customer --- their annoying
corporate quirks aside, I cannot trust any security product that tweaks
(nay, borks) my system in such a troublesome manner and certainly one that
seems to treat Mac users as third-class citizens. [3] I'm not the only one
who feels this way, either -- indeed they are correct in titling their
concerns the Audacity of Hopelessness. [4] Accordingly, I will follow the
lead of my coworkers and other securitygeek friends and embrace GPG for my
encryption needs.

Alas, PGP, I bid thee a sad adieu.

-rick

[1] http://blog.pgp.com/index.php/2009/08/sneak-peek-pgp-whole-disk-encryption-for-snow-leopard/

[2] http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10063151

[3] How about their officially-unsupported but unofficially-supported
Mail.App plug-in?  After nearly a decade of OSX in the marketplace they
still don't officially support Apple's Mail program?

[4] http://pgpsucks.wordpress.com/