[attrition] Security Systems and the Stock Market: How Do You Invest?

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sun Nov 2 00:46:39 UTC 2008

http://attrition.org/security/rant/invest01.html

Sat Nov 1 2008 20:40:13
Lyger

Anyone who has ever been responsible for the research, approval, or
purchase of a "security system", whether it be a spam filter, web filter,
antivirus software, firewall, NAC, or any one of a plethora of other
options, probably knows what a daunting task it can be. Dozens of vendors
vie for your attention with dozens of options for each product they offer,
and examining every detail of every option of every product is pretty much
impossible unless you have a full-time team dedicated to nothing but
product analysis and testing. For smaller shops, there should be a way to
make a few educated decisions about which vendor is best suited for
company needs. Note the word "suited". When considering a product or
vendor, it's all about "suitability".

Just like the stock market.

[.]

By my own estimation, I have about 400 times more experience in the
security industry than I do as an investor in the stock market. Over the
last week, my stock purchases have been watched with a curious
fascination, but I also began to see a correlation between my financial
investments and what can be done to assess vendors of security-related
products.

[...]