[attrition] review: Movies: I Am Legend, Rescue Dawn, Transformers

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sat Mar 15 17:15:25 UTC 2008

http://attrition.org/movies/bits16.html

I Am Legend
2007
Jericho

I like post-apocolyptic flicks. The idea of large cesspools we call cities
being completely wiped of humanity is great. Let the animals run free, let
the buildings fade away. Unfortunately, that movie isn't appealing to the
masses without a lone survivor to fight some bad guys, zombies in this
case.

[...]

Rescue Dawn
2006

Perhaps it's my bad memory and childhood being so long ago, but I recall
there being a lot more Vietnam/POW flicks from the 80's than we see today.
I think time has healed that 'wound' a lot, so we only hear about it from
McCain or the occasional movie. Rookie pilot on first mission gets shot
down in Vietnam and subsequently captured where he spends years in
captivity.

[...]

Transformers
2007

The car-robot-thingies are more than meets the eye, the movie isn't.
Relatively entertaining flick about these neat robot-thingies that come
from another planet in search of some relic that crashed into our own very
Earth. Suspending disbelief and accepting that is easy, but getting over
the rest of it may be problematic.

[...]