[attrition] Wrath of the Impotent (Legal Fun): Medica Health Plan

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Fri Oct 5 03:42:28 UTC 2007

(our latest legal threat, now somewhat... silent...)

http://attrition.org/postal/z/legal/medica/

From: "Magarian, Edward" (Magarian.Edward at dorsey.com)
To: security curmudgeon (jericho at attrition.org)
Cc: legal at attrition.org, root at attrition.org, jericho at attrition.org, comega at attrition.org,
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:00:55 -0600

Dear attrition.org:

I have been retained by Medica Health Plans ("Medica") in connection
with false and defamatory statements we learned you published about my
client which can be found at http://attrition.org/dataloss;
http://attrition.org/dataloss/dldos.html; and
http://attrition.org/dataloss/dataloss.csv
(see item #110). I am sending this letter to the contact on your website
because it appears to be your preferred method of communication.

You have published and continue to publish to this day statements that
Medica had a data loss on June 29, 2005 affecting 1,200,000 members
related to "fraud."  This defamatory information has been picked up by
other websites including www.emergentchaos.com.  These statements which
have been republished are simply false and defamatory.

The issue referenced by your site had nothing to do with any member data,
personal or otherwise, and there are no facts to support such an assertion.
Your publication of statements which expressly targets Medica with the
stain of exposing or even allegedly exposing personal information of its
1.2 million members is false, defamatory, damaging and constitutes
defamation per se.

[...]