[attrition] review: Movie: Children of Men

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Fri Mar 23 22:48:33 UTC 2007

http://attrition.org/movies/cofmen.html

Children of Men
2006
Czarina

I am not sure why, but this movie just didn't compel me as I think it
should have. I loved the plot idea, but the execution of that idea wasn't
great or exciting either- it didn't go where it should have. In fact, it
didn't go anywhere. The technical points and long shots employed by
Alfonso Cuaron are in reality the only commendable facets of the film.
There were things about Children of Men that made it sag -- sometimes the
flow was interrupted; sometimes people did stupid and inane things;
unanswered questions and unexplained points were plentiful. Those issues
made the movie, like my last one-night stand, less satisfying than I
thought it would be.

Children of Men takes place against the backdrop of a conflict-torn world
in the year 2027. The planet, it appears, has suffered a visit from Four
Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Pestilence, War, Famine, and Death for you
non-Biblical types). Humanity is on the brink of extinction, as for nearly
two decades women have lost the ability to conceive and bear children due
to causes unknown. As a result, the world has plunged into utter chaos and
even the world's strongest and mightiest nations have imploded.
Governments race against time and each other to solve the fertility crisis
which has now reached a dire pitch, exacerbating the impending doom of the
human race. Everyone prays that one day the sound of a child's cry will
pierce the sounds of explosions, gunfire, and loudspeakers blaring
propaganda. Tragically, though, the fragile fate of humanity has been
dealt a shattering blow; the world's youngest inhabitant, affectionately
named Baby Diego, has died at age 18. It looks as if mankind.s last
flicker of hope has been extinguished, and the species shall perish.

[...]