[attrition] rant: MPAA: Idiots At The Helm

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Thu Jan 11 21:57:50 EST 2007

http://attrition.org/security/rants/z/mpaa.html

or: How the MPAA could easily increase profits and turn the tide of P2P to
work in their favor

Thu Jan 11 21:16:47 EDT 2006

Martums

An open letter to the closed-minded Studios:

     I love movies. That doesn't come as a surprise to anyone who has
skimmed over any of my witless, rambling reviews here. I've gone so far as
to set up a used little projector, some wireless headphones, and an old,
comfy chair in my living room. I wouldn't call it a real home theater, but
it's a start. And I still go to theaters, as poor as the experience often
is. There's just no substitute for the massive screen and the awesome
power of the sound they have.

     I have disposable income with your (studio's) name on it, and a shelf
full of DVD's I never watch to prove it.

     I hate waiting. That awful period between when a film is in theaters,
until it's on DVD can be a drag. Ask any movie nut. And you guys (the
studios) are losing heaps of money during this time. Third parties are
paid to produce reports with grossly exaggerated figures claiming such
rubbish, e.g. Piracy is a 100-billion-dollar-a-year industry. Bullshit.
But at least you acknowledge you're losing money, even if you have no idea
how much.

Now, these dinosaurs aren't about to go and change their business model,
or risk distancing themselves from the theater owners whom they so
desperately need, at least for now. Regardless, here's one way the Studios
could unfuck themselves and increase profits and simultaneously improve
the consumer's experience. Because the mega cinema near me sucks ass 80%
of the time. Raise minimum wage, why?! These theater zombie employees are
already scraping the bottom of the gene pool barrel and are way over
paid...</rant> <not really>

Anyhow, here's a crazy idea of how to A) make money, B) win back (repeat)
customers, and C) reduce open file sharing:

[...]