[attrition] Just Cancel the @#%$* Account! (Tom Spring at PCWorld)

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Sun Jan 7 14:44:22 EST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: Infowarrior List <infowarrior at attrition.org>

(c/o RSK)

------ Forwarded Message

Just Cancel the @#%$* Account!
http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,128206/printable.html

It's hard to find a Web service that doesn't offer a free trial. But just
try canceling. We did, and the results weren't always pretty.

[..]

How Much Hassle?

I subscribed to the services beginning last July, and I canceled--or tried
to cancel--them all between August and October. Afterward, I considered
several factors in assessing how hard it was to cancel each service and to
receive any promised trial-period refunds. For example, I downgraded
companies that failed to provide a way to unsubscribe through their Web
sites. I also dinged merchants when they continued to bill me after I had
canceled, and if they made me feel like a Net gumshoe searching their Web
site for clues on how to unsubscribe. And I penalized sites whose customer
service personnel pressured me repeatedly to continue my subscriptions or
even buy other services. Finally, I took into account how long the various
companies kept me on hold, and whether they continued to send me e-mail
after I had canceled.

Of course, hassle is to a certain extent in the eyes of the beholder. A
10-minute call with one company might be fine if the representative is
polite and helpful. The same amount of time with another company might be
highly annoying.

Companies labeled "No Hassle" made severing ties relatively easy. For
instance, some of them let me cancel by filling out an online form or
sending an e-mail, and then they left me alone. Companies labeled as "Some
Hassle" received unsatisfactory marks on one or more criteria. Companies
that earned the "Big Hassle" rating failed on several measures; they made
it so hard for me to cancel that I regretted having signed up with them in
the first place. For a detailed list of the criteria I used in rating the
various services, see "Thirteen Strikes"; and for more about the
particulars of my experiences with each service I tried, see "Service
Cancellation Woes."

[..]