[attrition] Why we do this

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Tue Feb 20 21:06:33 EST 2007

http://attrition.org/dataloss/why.html

Tue Feb 20 21:01:22 EDT 2007

"Will you remove an entry from the Data Loss web page or DLDOS?"

On a few occasions, Attrition has been asked if we will remove a data loss
entry. In many cases, a company's representative feels that since the incident
wasn't conclusively proven to have had personal data compromised, it's
imperitive that the listing of the company come down as well.

While this is certainly understandable, Attrition will not remove entries of
companies with potential data loss incidents. There are several reasons for
this -- primarily, Attrition's web page and database are services to the
security community, just as a news outlet is. We report on data loss incidents,
either confirmed or in question. As part of our reporting, we gather statistics
and serve as a record.

Attrition's statistics, for instance, are a very valuable part of the service
we provide. Our staff are often questioned on the subject of data loss
incidents and current trends in the subject matter, and we have been even been
asked by the United States government to assist with research regarding said
incidents.

[...]