[attrition] review: Book: City Come A-Walkin'

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Fri Apr 6 14:41:14 UTC 2007

http://attrition.org/~jericho/works/review/book_review.city_come_awalkin.html

City Come A-Walkin'
Author: John Shirley
Jericho

Depending on who you ask, the history of Cyberpunk literature starts
around 1980, but is heavily influenced by different people. According to
cyberpunk.ru:

     William Gibson, one of the five writers associated with the cyberpunk
genre, is credited by critics and peers for typifying the cyberpunk
writing form in his popular novel Neuromancer. Bruce Sterling, Rudy
Rucker, John Shirley and Lewis Shiner, the other four writers who helped
launch the movement, agree that Gibson's Neuromancer influenced the
categorization of the new science fiction as cyberpunk. Therefore,
Gibson's novel can be used as a reliable source for defining the cyberpunk
genre.

This sentiment is prevalent among many people and Gibson's name is
certainly the most often said as the most influential founder of the
Cyberpunk genre. As you see above, the four other authors who "helped
launch the movement" agree that Neuromancer influenced etc etc. Yet others
say that Sterling "became the movement's chief ideologue [of the Cyberpunk
genre]."

With that in mind, imagine my surprise when I heard of a book that was
highly praised by William Gibson and had a foreword written by him as
well. This was my first introduction to John Shirley and I picked up City
Come A-Walkin' which sat on my shelf for well over a year before I found
time to read it. Now, let me see if I can imagine your surprise when you
read the following quotes, written by William Gibson, about John Shirley
and his book.

[...]