[attrition] rant: Linode took my money and ran

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Wed Nov 8 21:36:19 EST 2006

http://www.pogowasright.org/blogs/grokthis/?p=317

I recently jumped into the "Virtual Dedicated Server" pit by signing up
for a month-to-month plan with  Linode.com. Things were interesting for a
while, it was nice to have root access, to be able to install and
configure different distributions of linux on a remote server, etc, but
the problems began when I submitted a service ticket request to upgrade to
a more robust account. My ticket was ignored for over 24 hours even though
they say they typically respond within in 1-6 hours, so at that point I
sent an email.

After waiting another two days and getting no response, I joined their IRC
channel and bumped into caker, who is apparently the owner. He said he.d
process a refund under their .7 day money back satisfaction guarantee.
that day. Impressed by this straightforward apology and offer to assist,
and really wanting this type account, two days later I opened a new
account with Linode, this time paying for 1 year in advance in order to
get some additional benefits. This was mistake #2, and the largest error
in judgement I've made in quite a while.

[...]