[attrition] OT: "Original" unaltered Star Wars coming to DVD ! (fwd)

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Sun May 21 17:32:39 EDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: security curmudgeon <jericho at attrition.org>
To: Infowarrior List <infowarrior at attrition.org>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 17:31:28 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [Infowarrior] - OT: "Original" unaltered Star Wars coming to DVD !

: This September: Original Unaltered Trilogy on DVD
: May 03, 2006
: http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html
:
: [ doc_title ] Fans can look forward to a September filled with classic
: Star Wars nostalgia, led by the premiere of LEGO Star Wars II: The
: Original Trilogy video game and the long-awaited DVD release of the
: original theatrical incarnations of the classic Star Wars trilogy.
:
: Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual
: two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of
: the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of
: the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film.
: That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in
: 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

Just a couple years back, didn't Lucas say that the original movies would
not be released on DVD in their original format? Why the change of heart
.. "overwhelming demand" or does he see how the movie industry takes
advantage of customers and wants in on the action?

Do you own Star Wars, the original trilogy? If so, which version?

Star Wars Trilogy (Widescreen Edition with Bonus Disc) (DVD)
Star Wars Trilogy (Widescreen Edition Without Bonus Disc) (DVD)
Star Wars Trilogy (Full Screen Edition with Bonus Disc) (DVD)
Star Wars Trilogy (Full Screen Edition Without Bonus Disc) (DVD)
Star Wars Trilogy (VHS)
Star Wars Trilogy Special Silver Edition (Widescreen) (VHS)
Star Wars Trilogy (Special Edition) (VHS)

I first noticed this a while back when I went to purchase The Usual
Suspects. The original DVD came out and was sold for 15 - 20 bucks. Not
even six months later, a newer version came out with deleted scenes or
some other DVD bonus that lured fans in. Years later, the special
editions. Searching Amazon I find three different versions, but not one of
the ones that hit stores shortly after the initial release:

The Usual Suspects (1995)		[Release Date: June 24, 1997]
# DVD Features:
     * Commentary by: director Bryan Singer & writer Christopher
McQuarrieDolby Digital 1.0

The Usual Suspects (1995)		[Release Date: December 7, 1999]
# DVD Features:
     * Commentary by: director Bryan Singer and screenwriter Christopher
McQuarrieDolby Digital 2.0
     * Collectible Behind-the-Scenes Booklet

The Usual Suspects (Special Edition) (1995)	[Release Date: April 2, 2002]
# DVD Features:
     ??

How many special versions with hastiliy added 'bonus' material will be
added to your favorite movie, repacked, and sold at a new higher price?
Early on in the DVD era, this could be somewhat expected as the industry
was learning what they could do. Ten years later though? They should sell
every movie with a second bonus disc, load it up with every possible thing
they can such as commentary, interviews, deleted scenes, outtakes/bloopers
and more. If the movie is re-released again, it better have a damn good
reason or the industry is just gouging the fans they know will buy the new
copy to see what's been added. I'm a collector of sorts, I like having the
best copy of a movie, seeing the bonus scenes and missing footage. Despite
that, I finally had to give up trying to get the latest copy of my
favorite movies because they just kept coming out. Don't give in, buy your
one copy of the movie and no more. Don't feed the movie industry.