[attrition] What users hate most about Web sites

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Wed Jun 14 19:32:39 EDT 2006

This was too good not to pass up..

: What users hate most about Web sites
: Too many sites are low on usability and high on annoyance
:
: http://ww6.infoworld.com/products/print_friendly.jsp?link=/article/06/06/14/79274_HNhateaboutwebsites_1.html

Many users hate long URLs. Even sites that manage hundreds of thousands of
pages can use a system that doesn't rely on 300 character URLs that wrap
across the screen several times. Not all mail readers will make them
pretty clickable links, not all mail readers will do it right.

: The top five Web site quirks that users hate the most, according to iFocus
: are:
:
: [..]

6. Web Forms as the only means of contact. While they are convenient for
the company, what happens when a form is broken or requires information I
don't have? Worse, what happens when I have to put in some number and
don't know the format to put in all 0's just to submit my question? Always
provide an e-mail address for secondary contact.

7. The web is not special, follow the RFCs. E-mail addresses are allowed
to have a + sign in them. Rejecting my e-mail address as 'invalid' shows
your company isn't near as hip as they think they are. Its hows you hire
sub par web designers. http://attrition.org/misc/no_plus.html

8. Automated systems to 'help' the users, often aren't helpful. Just today
I found myself having to "ask Hank" questions to get information about the
Coke Rewards web site. My first question of "how do i contact the
webmaster" couldn't be answered. CAPTCHA systems that are impossible to
read stop spam *and* users. Don't just design the site, use it first.
http://attrition.org/news/content/06-06-13.001.html

9. Test your site in multiple browsers! Sites that only work in Microsoft
IE are a joke, and the sign of inferior web programming.

: Another problem is site blindness. "We are now seeing right-column
: blindness, where users do not see information and links down the right
: hand side of the screen. This occurs because the right hand column has
: become known for advertising," Cunnington said.

Perhaps so, but if you read into the philosophy of web design, aesthetics
and human nature, that is apparently where a person naturally looks for
such controls. Because so many web designers got hooked on left side
control design, it propogated and became the problem we see today. Is it
right to scold designers that opt to use the right? I don't think it is.
As long as the controls are easily distinguished from advertisements, this
shouldn't be an issue.