[attrition] Attrition Web Logs: A Study of Oddballs

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Thu Jul 6 23:46:01 EDT 2006

http://attrition.org/postal/logs/logs.001.html

Thu July 6 22:42:17 EST 2006

nepen and lyger

According to our meta tags, "Attrition.org is an eclectic collection of
internet and computer security resources." Pages about security, movie
reviews, poetry, statistics, and firearms are all available from the main
page, but many others written long ago (and sometimes forgotten about,
even by us) are still on the site. Despite our collective problems
remembering every single piece of content on the site, we are constantly
reminded of past transgressions, addictions, and general weirdness through
the file known as "access_log." For various reasons, people far and wide
use their favorite search engines to find something, anything, that will
help them solve their "problem of the day." Every click on a link to
attrition.org becomes a new member of our happy family, and that's where
we come in, because we actually read those logs. We "just ain't right,"
but apparently many people who visit attrition.org have issues of their
own to deal with.

To break some of these down, we have specific examples of search queries
that not only led the searcher to attrition, but may also show a little
bit of insight into the weirdness of those who find us:

Penis problems:

c-67-175-196-144.hsd1.il.comcast.net - - [03/Jun/2006:22:29:30 -0400] "GET
/misc/ee/foreskin HTTP/1.1" 200 12090
"http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=my+dick+is+bleeding" "Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 6.0; America Online Browser 1.1; Windows NT 5.1;
{708667E9-45D7-535A-16D8-661E3B91A025}; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

Why is this guy not going to a HOSPITAL instead of finding us on Google?

[...]