[attrition] why is eBay (and others) exempt ..

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Wed Jan 11 10:08:51 EST 2006

.. from RFC guidelines and a somewhat friendly method for someone to
complain?

Report a problem to abuse at ebay.com and you get this type of message.
Notice the tracking number in the subject line? It is hitting their
system, being assigned some kind of ticket or tracking ID number, getting
forwarded to safeharbor at ebay.com, then bounced as undeliverable.

Sites this big not maintaining an abuse@ contact as per RFC standards (RFC
2142 (section 4)) is disgusting. Not maintaining custom addresses that
they originaly set up is even more disgusting.

Follow their URL below and you end up here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_us/_base/result_6_1_12.html?item=&dsturl=http%3A%2F%2Fpages.ebay.com%2Fhelp%2Fcontact_us%2F_base%2Findex.html&tier0=%5Bobject+Object%5D&tier1=result_6_1_12&continue=Continue+%3E#

Which gives you three options. The first two are 'instant help' FAQ pages:

Filing an online fraud alert
Feedback abuse, withdrawal, and removal

The third is "Customer Support Option(s)" which has one link "Email".
Clicking this link requires a) you register as a new ebay user b) sign in
as an existing ebay user c) sign in via Microsoft Passport

So if someone is spamming an ebay.com auction URL to a million people,
only a registered ebay member can file a complaint, via a web page, and
expect to wait "24-48 hours for a response".

This is completely irresponsible.