[attrition] Security Rant: US-CERT: A disgrace to vulnerability statistics

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Mon Jan 2 23:18:55 EST 2006

http://www.osvdb.org/blog/?p=79

US-CERT: A disgrace to vulnerability statistics
Posted in Vulnerability Statistics on January 2nd, 2006 by jericho

Several people have asked OSVDB about their thoughts on the recent US-CERT
Cyber Security Bulletin 2005 Summary. Producing vulnerability statistics
is trivial to do. All it takes is your favorite data set, a few queries,
and off you go. Producing meaningful and useful vulnerability statistics
is a real chore. Ive long been interested in vulnerability statistics,
especially related to how they are used and the damage they cause.
Creating and maintaining a useful statitistcs project has been on the
OSVDB to-do list for some time, and I personally have not followed up with
some folks that had the same interest (Ejovi et al). Until I see such
statistics done right, I will of course continue to voice my opinion at
other efforts.

[..]

Ok, on to the fun part.. the statistics! Unfortunately, the bulletin is
very lacking on wording, explanation, details or additional disclaimers.
We get two very brief paragraphs, and the list of vulnerabilities that
link to their summary entries. Very unfortunate. No, let me do one better.
US-CERT, you are a disgrace to vulnerability databases. I cant fathom why
you even bothered to create this list, and why anyone in their right mind
would actually use, reference or quote this trash. The only statistics
provided by this bulletin:

[..]

A decade later, and the security community still lacks any meaningful
statistics for vulnerabilities. Why cant these outfits with commercial or
federal funding actually do a good job and produce solid data that helps
instead of confuses and misleads?!