[attrition] review: Book: Way of the Peaceful Warrior

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Tue Aug 22 22:57:55 EDT 2006

http://attrition.org/~martums/works/reviews/warrior/

Dan Millman: Way of the Peaceful Warrior
Someone did some bad acid during their college years
Amazon - ISBN 1932073205 - 240 pages
Tue Aug 22 17:27:51 EDT 2006

martums

Crap or fertilizer?

>From Amazon:

     During his junior year at the University of California, Dan Millman
first stumbled upon his mentor (nicknamed Socrates) at an all-night gas
station. At the time, Millman hoped to become a world-champion gymnast.
"To survive the lessons ahead, you're going to need far more energy than
ever before," Socrates warned him that night. "You must cleanse your body
of tension, free your mind of stagnant knowledge, and open your heart to
the energy of true emotion." From there, the unpredictable Socrates
proceeded to teach Millman the "way of the peaceful warrior." At first
Socrates shattered every preconceived notion that Millman had about
academics, athletics, and achievement. But eventually Millman stopped
resisting the lessons, and began to try on a whole new ideology--one that
valued being conscious over being smart, and strength in spirit over
strength in body.

     Although the character of the cigarette-smoking Socrates seems like a
fictional, modern-day Merlin, Millman asserts that he is based on an
actual person. Certain male readers especially appreciate the
coming-of-age theme, the haunting love story with the elusive woman Joy,
and the challenging of Western beliefs about masculine power and success.
--Gail Hudson

Warrior is one of the few books that I deliberately read before seeing the
film. With Nick Nolte and Amy Smart in the trailer, it looked great, a
must-see. The reviews on the early pages boldly proclaim how the book can
have a profound effect on one's life. I tore into it with high
expectations. In retrospect, many of the reviews I've seen about this book
are polar. Either it has a powerful impact on the reader, or it's just a
waste of time. On the outset, I was expecting the former. Unfortunately, I
walked away with the latter.

[...]