[attrition] Book Review: Security Log Management

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Mon Apr 24 20:03:15 EDT 2006

http://attrition.org/~lyger/works/reviews/SLMreview.html

Security Log Management
Identifying Patterns in the Chaos
Multiple Authors - Amazon.com
ISBN: 1-59749-042-3
Syngress Publishing, Inc, Copyright 2006

I have to admit, this book wasn't entirely what I expected. For several
chapters, I was introduced to more shell scripting, PHP scripting, and
poorly printed screen shots than what I would generally expect from a book
that at first appeared to have been directed towards security analysts
instead of system administrators and web developers. However, despite its
flaws, "Security Log Management" does have its merits during its middle
chapters which aren't based on excessive code snippets and blatant
endorsements for Microsoft's Log Parser.

[...]