[attrition] Cisco/Blackhat Update

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Fri Jul 29 20:44:34 EDT 2005

http://www.infowarrior.org/users/rforno/lynn-cisco.pdf

1920 29 July 2005

I am awaiting a copy of what I understand was a cease-and-desist (or
takedown) notice that was sent to my web host earlier this evening by
folks representing either Cisco or ISS.  (I suspect it's from Cisco, but I
could be wrong.)  The note was related to the file entitled
"lynn-cisco.pdf" that contained Lynn's remarks from Black Hat '05 this
week.

Upon review of the C&D notice, I will respond accordingly and immediately,
but have no intention of rolling over simply because a corporation is
trying to rebuild its tarnished image in the public eye following its
questionable and unethical handling of both a critical internet security
vulnerability and a self-inflicted public embarrassment.

For now, until I have received and reviewed the reported C&D (or takedown)
notice, the original file containing the BH presentation has been replaced
by this update file.  In the interim, if you were looking to download the
lynn-cisco file, please obtain it from
http://www.infowarrior.org/users/rforno/lynn-cisco1.pdf" instead.

My sense is that had Cisco said nothing about this briefing, it's quite
likely few if any people or news outlets would've given it more than a
passing thought like so many other vulnerabilities being reported these
days in Vegas.  Beyond that, it likely would have gotten caught up in the
background "noise" of regular security community chatter.  But through its
heavy-handed tactics this week, Cisco ended up publicizing the problem
significantly and also raised new questions about its handling of
vulnerability reports and critical product updates.  The company has
nobody to blame but itself for its publicity woes this week.

In closing, I appreciate the assistance and understanding of the Nidhog
staff in this matter, and have assured them this issue will be resolved
satisfactorily tonight.

- Rick
rforno at infowarrior.org