[attrition] why i hate the dvd industry..

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Mon Oct 18 02:28:25 EDT 2004

.. and likely why a small percentage of people are tired of paying for
movies.

it's a given that some people are fans of movies. big fans. they want to
own a copy of the movie, and they want the best version possible. if a
movie has more footage available, or a directors cut, they want that, not
the original shorter version. the movie industry is capitalizing on this
raping the true fans.

July 27, 2004
Hellboy (Two-Disc Special Edition)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008EY65/qid=1098078590/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-9754810-2513530?v=glance&s=dvd

Next week..
Hellboy (Director's Cut)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002V7ODI/qid=1098078590/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-9754810-2513530?v=glance&s=dvd

13 extra minutes! more bonus! so they wait three months to release this..

September 7, 2004
Underworld (Widescreen Edition)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000VAFO0/qid=1098079089/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-9754810-2513530?v=glance&s=dvd

May 25, 2004
Underworld (Unrated Extended Cut)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001WTUH6/qid=1098079089/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-9754810-2513530?v=glance&s=dvd

I think amazon has these dates wrong. The unrated extended cut came out
several months after the first, and had 23 additional minutes of footage
(12 new, 11 replacement amazon says, which they didnt mention in the TV

Anyway, we dont know what movies they will do this to. Why should I be
expected to buy each new version that comes out as a fan? All this
encourages me to do is actually *start* pirating movies to watch them,
then buy it 3 - 5 months later if no special edition has come out.