[VIM] BID 31930 exploit

Steven M. Christey coley at linus.mitre.org
Fri Nov 19 09:55:55 CST 2010

This kind of double encoding happens throughout the Bugtraq ID entries; I
see it on a regular basis.  I thought I sent an inquiry about this a
couple years ago, but maybe I used the wrong email address.

In the early days of the CVE web site, we used to have this problem in our
search results.  One routine would HTML-encode a single CVE description,
then each description in the results would get encoded again when it got
dumped into the full table (or something like that).

I've seen this kind of problem on other security sites over the years.
You can get similar issues related to SQL injection and double quoting of
apostrophes.

- Steve