[VIM] bye milw0rm?!

Steven M. Christey coley at linus.mitre.org
Thu Jul 9 22:12:11 UTC 2009

str0ke,

Glad to hear that milw0rm will continue in one form or another!  It's
become an extremely valuable resource for publication of new issues for
everybody, including CVE.  And we all benefit from all the work you do
behind the scenes to ensure that the information you let through doesn't
suck.  milw0rm references are in about 35% of the 8700+ CVE's we've
published since January 2008, and it was the *only* source of raw
vulnerability information in about 20% to 30% of published CVEs in that
time frame (this number includes working exploits).  i.e., there was a ton
of stuff on your site that wasn't on any other site (or list) that we
regularly monitored.  No doubt that the presence of milw0rm contributed
significantly to the CVE trends that show the rise of web application
vulnerabilities.

Whether you're quoting folk singer Joni Mitchell or 80's metal rockers,
the phrase "don't know what you got till it's gone" comes to mind.

Thank you,
Steve