[VIM] Nortel advisory URL humor

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Wed Mar 22 01:42:10 EST 2006

http://www130.nortelnetworks.com/cgi-bin/eserv/cs/main.jsp?cscat=BLTNDETAIL&DocumentOID=391523&RenditionID=

"RenditionID"? Given the definition of 'rendition', it's a tad amusing =)

    1. The act of rendering; especially, the act of surrender, as
       of fugitives from justice, at the claim of a foreign
       government; also, surrender in war.
       [1913 Webster]

      n 1: a performance of a musical composition or a dramatic role
           etc.; "they heard a live rendition of three pieces by
           Schubert" [syn: {rendering}]
      2: an explanation of something that is not immediately obvious;
         "the edict was subject to many interpretations"; "he
         annoyed us with his interpreting of parables"; "often
         imitations are extended to provide a more accurate
         rendition of the child's intended meaning" [syn: {interpretation},
          {interpreting}, {rendering}]
      3: the act of interpreting something as expressed in an
         artistic performance; "her rendition of Milton's verse was
         extraordinarily moving" [syn: {rendering}, {interpretation}]

I don't think it qualifies as a musical composition or dramatic role, so
we'll go with "explanation of something that is not immediately obvious",
although having to download a PDF to view the advisory may approach the
more modern use of the word involving torture in other countries.