[VIM] Lifetype "XSS" issue might be file inclusion?

Steven M. Christey coley at mitre.org
Mon Apr 17 21:13:01 EDT 2006

OK, so these days I'm probably seeing these issues even when they
don't exist :)

Refs: CVE-2006-1808 and CVE-2006-1809

Lifetype has source available, but a grep-style check didn't find
proof right away.

- op paramater is "Template" which suggests use of templates, which
  are frequently files...

- attacker uses XSS manipulation in a Template op

- and even with the XSS manipulation, you get full path disclosure

So - this could be an application-controlled XSS/full path disclosure
("hey, I couldn't find the template using this filename: [XYZ]") or
maybe it's a PHP-level inclusion/path traversal error by actually
trying to access the file and failing.

Either way I dunno, just figured someone out there with more a
extensive PHP testing environment might be curious to investigate.

Name: CVE-2006-1808
Reference: BUGTRAQ:20060414 Vulnerabilities in lifetype
Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/archive/1/431008/100/0/threaded
Reference: FRSIRT:ADV-2006-1367
Reference: URL:http://www.frsirt.com/english/advisories/2006/1367
Reference: SECTRACK:1015941
Reference: URL:http://securitytracker.com/id?1015941
Reference: SECUNIA:19646
Reference: URL:http://secunia.com/advisories/19646

Cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability in index.php in Lifetype
1.0.3 allows remote attackers to inject arbitrary web script or HTML
via the show parameter in a Template operation.

Name: CVE-2006-1809
Reference: BUGTRAQ:20060414 Vulnerabilities in lifetype
Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/archive/1/431008/100/0/threaded
Reference: SECTRACK:1015941
Reference: URL:http://securitytracker.com/id?1015941

index.php in Lifetype 1.0.3 allows remote attackers to obtain
sensitive information via an invalid show parameter, which reveals the
path in an error message.