[VIM] [OSVDB Mods] [Change Request] 17460: Whois.Cart language Variable Traversal Arbitrary File Access (fwd)

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Fri Jul 8 00:32:23 EDT 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: S. Alexandre M. Lemaire <saeven at saeven.net>
To: moderators at osvdb.org
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 00:27:57 -0400
Subject: [OSVDB Mods] [Change Request] 17460: Whois.Cart language Variable
     Traversal Arbitrary File Access

Dear OSVDB,

       I'm writing to report that this vulnerability is false and it would
be appreciated if it could be removed immediately.  We're willing to
provide you with a test environment on which you can confirm our claim if
the links below do not satisfy.  Note that the script's nature, being PHP,
is subject to it's environments security as well.  Further, the reportedly
affected components are subject to user modification, and could have been
compromised by an uncautious customization on behalf of an unknowing user,
if not a poorly configured operating platform.  I can ensure that user
input, using the script in default form, is properly sanitized.

     Your "manual testing notes" on even our online demo, fail outright:
      http://[victim]/whoiscart/?language=../../../../../../../../../../../../../etc/passwd%00

     replace with the url of our demo:
     http://demo.whoiscart.net/?language=../../../../../../../../../../../../../etc/passwd%00

     Achieves no result whatsoever.  The demo is running a publically
released version.

     Should you refuse to comply however, kindly provide your mailing
address and legal contact that our counsel may contact you appropriately;
loss of business incurred by such falsifications posted in public mediums
could be severe and should be remedied.  We've recently received blackmail
threats from a certain individual - it is all too coincidental that these
would appear just now after the latter threat.  We believe these to be
malicious acts by this same wrongdoer, your assistance in the matter is
appreciated.  I hope you can agree, that businesses should not be subject
to the whims of anonymous wrongdoers.  Careful examination of the link
above will hopefully display that your posting, is just such a maliciously
intended act.

Regards.
S. Alexandre Lemaire,
President, saeven.net