[Nikto-discuss] error occured

David Lodge dave at cirt.net
Sun Feb 28 14:13:52 UTC 2010

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:01:56 -0000, jaslina kk
<jaslinamuhammedkk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I  encountered error while scanning the webserver using nikto-2.1.1.
> Like,
> + ERROR: /help.html returned an error: error reading HTTP response
> + /tsweb/: Microsoft TSAC found.
> http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/sbs-Terminal-Services-Advanced-Client-Configuration.html
> + ERROR: /blah_badfile.shtml returned an error: error reading HTTP
> response
> + ERROR: /SiteServer/Admin/commerce/foundation/DSN.asp returned an error:
> error reading HTTP response
> + /autologon.html?10514: Remotely Anywhere 5.10.415 is vulnerable to XSS
> attacks that can lead to cookie theft or privilege escalation. This is
> typically found on port 2000.
> I could not get it.why this error occurs?

ERROR messages like are from when the HTTP server doesn't return a
response, or returns a mangled response. I usually only see these on
embedded devices or over a slow link, though some web servers fail to
return a response on some URIs.

I normally advise trying these by hand (e.g. through nc or through nikto
-Single) to see exactly what the web server is doing.

dave