[Nikto-discuss] nikto using 1.5Gb memory

Sullo csullo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 02:50:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Andres Riancho
<andres.riancho at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can think of a few ways to once and for all solve this mutate memory issue:
>> - get rid of mutate
>
>    Thats not an option, people use it =)

good to know--I *never* do :-)

> - Create a Queue object with a size limit.
[snip]
> - Create a thread that iterates through the mutate tests, and adds the
> tests to the Queue.
[snip]
> - Create another thread, that will read from the Queue and send the
> requests to the web server.
[snip]

Someone pointed out to me that DBM::Deep may solve some problems. Like
File::Tie it can write to/from a flat file database, but unlike the
File::Tie module it accesses the data in hash structures. The data
would be saved to disk and could be accessed in an each() loop without
take any (much) post-load processing.

My thought is, though, if we head down this road it might make sense
to make a lot of under-the-hood changes to have multiple threads
spooling tests out, and a configurable number of threads taking them
out and running them.

Anyone previously jumped far enough into the dozens of thread modules
to make a recommendation?

-Sullo