[Nikto-discuss] Nikto Integration in OpenVAS

Michael Wiegand michael.wiegand at intevation.de
Wed Jun 18 09:21:58 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm working on improving the Nikto integration with OpenVAS
(http://www.openvas.org/), the still-GPL fork of Nessus.

I've made some improvements to nikto.nasl, the plugin for Nikto integration we
inherited from Nessus. It is now compatible with Nikto 2 (but will still work
with older versions) and has improved error handling in case nikto.pl can't
be found or the target does not return 404 on requests for non-existent
pages.

I've removed support for the -allcgi and -gener options as they seem to be no
longer present in Nikto 2. I haven't used Nikto in great detail (yet!), so
I'm not sure for which options it would make sense to integrate them into
nikto.nasl; they would then show up and be controllable in the plugin options
section in OpenVAS-Client. I'd really appreciate your feedback on this topic.

If you have any other ideas or comments on how support for Nikto in OpenVAS
could be improved, please let me know. Nikto is a great tool and I'd really
love to enhance support for it in OpenVAS.

If you are interested in helping with plugin development oder developing
OpenVAS in general, please feel free to subscribe to our mailing lists;
openvas-plugins, openvas-devel and openvas-discuss are probably the ones you
would be most interested in.

If you want to take a look at the current SVN version of nikto.nasl, you can
do so at http://www.openvas.org/?oid=1.3.6.1.4.1.25623.1.0.14260 .

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Wiegand                                   OpenPGP key: D7D049EC
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück                    http://www.intevation.de/