[Dataloss] What is your stolen data worth?

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Fri May 9 15:34:19 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: InfoSec News <alerts at infosecnews.org>

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9939862-7.html

By Elinor Mills
News Blog
News.com
May 8, 2008

You think your personal information is priceless. But everything has a
price, even your stolen bank account information.

McAfee Avert Labs has discovered a price list that criminals use to buy
and sell credit card numbers, bank account log-ins, and other consumer
data that have been filched from unsuspecting Web surfers.

"Last Friday morning in France, my investigations lead me to visit a site
proposing top-quality data for a higher price than usual," writes Francois
Paget of McAfee. "But when we look at this data we understand that as
everywhere, you have to pay for quality."

For example, a Washington Mutual Bank account in the U.S. with an
available balance of $14,400 is priced at 600 euros ($924), while a
Citibank UK account with an available balance of 10,044 pounds is priced
at 850 euros ($1,310).

[..]