[Dataloss] Reporting Dataloss

Chris Walsh chris at cwalsh.org
Sat May 3 22:43:19 UTC 2008

If this happened in my school district, I would notify the
Superintendent of Schools, and try to obtain in writing the reason for
not notifying.  I would then follow up explaining why I thought this
approach was mistaken.  If this was not persuasive, I would then
attend the next school board meeting, and when the agenda item for all
other business (or public comment) came along, I would calmly restate
the facts in detail, and ask for Board comment.  I would also make
sure that my remarks were reflected in the minutes (FOIA the minutes
after the meeting if you have to, go to the next meeting, and ask that
they be corrected if your remark is not on the record).  Often, even
in small towns, the press attend such meetings or they are taped and
played again and again on public affairs cable stations.

I would reserve this level of response only for government bodies, and
only as a last resort, only if I was dead certain of the facts, and
only if I came upon these "publicly posted" materials entirely in good
faith.  I would not want to have to explain why issuing an HTTP GET on www.someschool.edu/getrecords?ID=xxxx
  for numerous values of 'xxxx' is not "hacking".

Note that in many states the fact that the *entire* last name was not
exposed would, by my reading, allow the entity not to be required to
not a lawyer.

One last note:  Read up on the family educational records and  privacy
act (http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html).  It is
pretty strict, and may provide you with a persuasive argument to make
to the powers that be.

[