[Dataloss] follow-up: Advanced tactic targeted grocer - 'Malware' stole Hannaford data

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Fri Mar 28 17:02:52 UTC 2008

[Software was installed at each of the roughly 300 stores.. i'm sure we'd
  all love to know how that happened. I have a feeling the bad guys didn't
  compromise all 300 machines. - jericho]

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/03/28/advanced_tactic_targeted_grocer/

A massive data breach at Hannaford Brothers Cos. was caused by a "new and
sophisticated" method in which software was secretly installed on servers
at every one of its grocery stores, the company told Massachusetts
regulators this week.

The unauthorized intrusion the company disclosed on March 17 stemmed from
software that intercepted card data from customers as they paid with
plastic at store checkout counters, and sent the data overseas,
Hannaford's top lawyer said in a letter sent to Attorney General Martha
Coakley and Governor Deval Patrick's Office of Consumer Affairs and
Business Regulation.

The software was installed on computer servers at each of the roughly 300
stores operated by Hannaford and its partners. Hannaford did not say how
the software might have been placed on so many servers, and company
spokeswoman Carol Eleazer said the company continues to investigate how
the software was installed and other specifics of the breach. The Secret
Service, which pursues currency crimes, is conducting its own
investigation.

[..]