[Dataloss] Identity breach affects hospital

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Fri Mar 28 09:18:47 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: InfoSec News <alerts at infosecnews.org>

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_8710866

By Airan Scruby
Staff Writer
Whitter Daily News
03/26/2008

WHITTIER - About 5,000 past and current employees at Presbyterian
Intercommunity Hospital had their private information stolen, officials
said Wednesday.

The data included Social Security numbers, birth dates, full names and
other records stored on a desktop computer that was stolen from a
Fullerton data management group on Feb. 11.

In addition to the 5,000 employees, another 35,000 identities from 18
other companies were stored on the computer, officials said.

According to hospital Human Resources Vice President Lon Orey, the
employees will be given a one-year subscription to LifeLock, a group which
tracks the user's information and guards it from illegal use.

"We take the treatment of employee information very seriously," Orey said,
"and we will continue to do everything we can to protect them."

A letter informing employees that their information was in jeopardy was
dated March13, more than a month after the breach.

[..]