[Dataloss] Consumers of Hannaford Brothers Co. Supermarkets File Class Action Suit

Mike Simon msimon at creationlogic.com
Thu Mar 20 00:58:04 UTC 2008

I think you're right in also considering that the product was used
correctly and just not up to the task, which raises an interesting but
possibly off-topic question in my mind. If Rapid7 falsely attributes
the incident to mis-use of their product in a public forum (the press
release), essentially increasing the potential liability of Hannaford,
it seems like Hannaford might have a cause of action against Rapid7.
The cause of action is unrelated to the performance of their product,
which I'm sure is well protected by the license agreement, but instead
related to (potentially) false and (potentially) damaging statements
about Hannaford's security practices.

It seems to me that the statement in the revised press release has no
real upside for Rapid7 true _or_ false. As someone stated earlier in
this thread, they should have withdrawn the press release from their
web site and taken their lumps.

I'm certainly not a lawyer, and have NO knowledge of the incident,
truthfulness of the subsequent Rapid7 disclaimers or really anything
at all. This is intended as a discussion of hypothetical outcomes.

Mike