[Dataloss] Privacy data blowing in the wind in Tucson AZ

Henry Brown hbrown at knology.net
Wed Jun 18 10:49:42 UTC 2008

 From KVOA.com Tucson AZ

http://tinyurl.com/597zs9

Hundreds of receipts reveal the risk of identity theft

The Investigators found credit card numbers blowing in the wind for
anyone to see. These piles and papers strewn across the alley contain
hundreds of old receipts from Domino's Pizza stores.

When we got a call about this, we went down to University Avenue and
Euclid and saw these receipts were three, four, and even five years
old.

We contacted the former owner of 24 Domino's Pizza stores in Tucson. She
won't talk with us on-camera, but told us she'd been discarding boxes of
old records near her home and somehow all those receipts got loose.

[...]

The Investigators contacted the Federal Trade Commission in Washington
and they say thieves could potentially use discarded credit card numbers
even if the card has expired. The numbers on the card in many cases are
still the same.

[...]
In this case, the Investigators contacted Tucson Police and several
officers came to collect the records we found and have them destroyed.