[Dataloss] Columbia University (NY) has posted SSNs on line for16months

TSG tglassey at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 12 16:59:32 UTC 2008

Not that I am a lawyer (because I am not)  but there is an easy answer...

The way to deal with this is to use the Qui Tam statute and sue the
university under the False Claims Act based on their filings with the
Department of Health and Welfare and their filings with the State and
Federal Department's of Education which fund much of the schools internal
actions.

The security issue is a derivative error for fraudulently claiming that they
properly met all of the operating requiments for a school. And clearly they
havent... They (the school) are required through those filings to obey any
and all laws relevant to their operations, so it (this breach) is a simple
CFAA negligence claim.

Then all of the student body become a class and all that needs to be
documented is the failing to ask for a summary judgment. See the Federal
Laws, especially the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and the Stored
Communications Act have amazing latitude here.

Todd Glassey (as a civilian).