[Dataloss] CA: Identity Thefts Traced to Graduate Healthcare

Casey, Troy # Atlanta Troy.Casey at McKesson.com
Wed Jun 4 14:10:58 UTC 2008

Seems to me that to e-file for taxes, you have to provide either a
pre-selected PIN or the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) from the previous
year's 1040.  Assuming the thieves here did in fact e-file - and not
send in paper forms - they would have had to have the AGI for the
previous year for each student they filed for.  Of course, the
university's financial aid department would have that information, but
it seems unlikely that United Healthcare would have had that.

So it looks to me like the trail would lead back to someone at the
University that had (or gained) access to both the health insurance info
and the financial aid info, assuming these were in fact e-filed.

Just thinking out loud,
Troy

-----Original Message-----
From: dataloss-bounces at attrition.org
[mailto:dataloss-bounces at attrition.org] On Behalf Of Arshad Noor
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 7:38 PM
To: Michael Hill, CITRMS
Cc: dataloss at attrition.org
Subject: Re: [Dataloss] CA: Identity Thefts Traced to Graduate
Healthcare

Its interesting that identity thieves are taking the theft of personal
information to new levels - filing IRS tax returns in the names of the
victims for tax refunds!  This is the result when business processes
(eFiling) are modified to take advantage of electronic efficiency
without taking security into consideration.

There are thousands of such business processes waiting to be exploited
IMO - credit card numbers are just the tip of the iceberg.  What makes
this especially problematic is that most business processes are not as
standardized as credit card processing, and consequently have many more
vulnerabilities due to their variability.

Companies and government agencies are well advised to start reviewing
their business processes for security - specifically authenticity and
integrity - before issuing any money or benefits.  However, this is
easier said than done - business people and management consultants don't
know enough about security, while security consultants don't know enough
about business processes.  Attackers will be sure to exploit this gap
for some time to come.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.

Michael Hill, CITRMS wrote:
> http://www.newuniversity.org/main/article?slug=identity_thefts_traced_
> to156
>

> United Healthcare, the provider for UCI's Graduate Student Health
> Insurance Program, admitted that it was the source of identity thefts
> of past and present UCI graduate and medical students on Wednesday,
May 28.