[Dataloss] Into the Second Millenium

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Tue Jun 3 02:38:57 UTC 2008

http://attrition.org/news/content/08-06-02.001.html

As of this writing, Attrition.org's Data Loss Database - Open Source
(DLDOS) officially has 1,000 entries. The Connecticut Department of Labor
(un?)graciously  lost documents containing the names, addresses, and
Social Security numbers of about 2,100 people, which places them into the
database with a unique identifier (UID) of DL-1000. DLDOS includes data
breaches from every year since 2000 with a sharp spike in numbers
beginning in 2005, so we're not really surprised that we reached this
"milestone" number shortly before the third anniversary of the data loss
project. Still, it's something of a bittersweet event to commemorate; we
would rather not have to put dozens of breaches every month on a web page,
in a database, and sent to a mailing list of about 1,400 subscribers. If
it wasn't a problem, we wouldn't... but it is, so we do.

[...]