[Dataloss] University of MD mails 24000 SSN on front of envelope

Kyle Davis Kyle.Davis at apollogrp.edu
Wed Jul 23 16:56:43 UTC 2008

I'm rather new here, but thought I'd toss in my $0.02

I agree with much of what you've all stated regarding lack of education
but, having SSN so available to a person that does a mail merge for
envelopes seems silly to me.  There really does need to be better lock
down on some data (SSN being one of the top ones).  Is this kind of
thing still going to happen in the future even after locking down the
data better? You betcha it will happen, but at least there will be less
occurrences of it. And if it does happen, there will be a better feed
back program in place to help with situations like this in the future.

Also, Michael hit the nail on the head when he stated "periodic
training".  A single training event is NOT enough for most of the work
force out there.  They need to be hit with training on this topic at
least twice a year, if not more.

Kyle R. Davis, Security Analyst
Apollo Group