[Dataloss] University of MD mails 24000 SSN on front of envelope

Michael Hill, CITRMS mhill at idtexperts.com
Wed Jul 23 16:27:10 UTC 2008

Lack of education and training given to employees, contractors and service
providers to help spot security vulnerabilities.  Periodic training
emphasizes the importance you place on meaningful data security practices.
A well-trained workforce is just as important defense against identity theft
and data breaches as are physical and electronic security.

In this case, I cant believe nobody in the whole process did not spot the
SSN or at least question it when seeing a 9 digit number.  Training
certainly could have uncovered this, though we will never know.

Michael Hill | T3i
Director Risk Management & Compliance
Direct: 404.216.3751 | mhill at T3i.com |
www.T3i.com
INFORMATION SECURITY | RISK MANAGEMENT | COMPLIANCE | FORENSICS | TRAINING

"If You Think You're Not At Risk, Think Again!"

NOTICE:
This email and any attachment to it is confidential and protected by law and
intended for the use of the individual(s) or entity named on the email.
This information and all email information from the sender is not legal
advice nor legal representation and should not be construed as legal advice
nor legal representation. Check with your attorney in your State for legal
advice. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution of this communication
is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender via return email and delete it completely from your email
system.  If you have printed a copy of the email, please destroy it
immediately.