[Dataloss] [ekmi] Re: fringe: Open source laptop tracking

Chris Walsh chris at cwalsh.org
Thu Jul 17 17:43:21 UTC 2008

Agreed!

To play the ever-popular security analogy game, if burglars can be deterred
with mere signs saying "Premises protected by Acme Faultless Alarm Company",
why not be happy if laptop thieves can be deterred by an actual product,
albeit one which is not (and is not billed as) a panacea.

Maybe the threat model that matters more is the one in which the hardware,
not the data, is being targeted.  In that case, measures to protect the
hardware make sense.  Of course, where the data are central -- as with
controls against loss of PII -- a measure such as this would be
inappropriate.

Chris

P.S. On the 'engraving' point, I can remember the police suggesting that one
engrave ones SSN on items of high value and high portability, such as tools
and bikes.  Times have changed :^)