[Dataloss] [ekmi] Re: fringe: Open source laptop tracking

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Thu Jul 17 03:46:42 UTC 2008

My 0.76 cents (adjusted for inflation):

For the most part, I think any type of "tracking device" that relies on
internet access is a sham.  To assume that every stolen laptop will be
connected to the internet, either by wire or wireless, is just that... an
assumption.  Certain companies are banking on this assumption, and it
wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to see them fail.

With that said, I'm also under the impression that most jerks who steal a
laptop probably fall into at least one of the following categories:

1.  They don't know (or care) what data is on the laptop
2.  They don't know what Apricorn, Knoppix, or F.I.R.E. are, let alone
know how to boot to a Linux CD or even know what "ls -al" means
3.  If they need to steal a laptop, they probably can't afford internet
access (OK, that's probably a trolling point...)
4.  Even if they watched Mission Impossible 3, see #1 and #2.

Realistically, laptop tracking seems to be a "nothing" industry as far as
data loss is concerned.  Is your average thief able to access the data if
the hard drive isn't encrypted?  Sure.  Is it very likely?  Not so much.
It seems to be more about hardware recovery than "is data at risk?".