[Dataloss] 4000 students ssn exposed in williamson county TN

McDermott, Michael S Michael_McDermott at reyrey.com
Mon Jul 14 13:02:30 UTC 2008

Michael,

In answer to your question, most identity theft services can monitor a
minor's SSN and their credit report for any activity.

Minors do suffer from identity theft in the same ways as the majority.
In fact some of the most despicable identity theft occurs from
unscrupulous parents when they max out their own personal credit
"identity" and move on to the misuse of their child's. In these
occasions the minor usually has to petition for a name change and a new
SSN in order to obtain a fresh start as a member of the adult
population.

So yes, minors do still carry the burden of cleaning up their credit,
medical and criminal records as tarnished by the identity thief. If
available in your state, the strongest protection for your child's
financial identity would be to request a freeze of their credit records
until they reach majority status. Again, the parents have to take a
significant role to protect their children from criminal malfeasance.

Regards,
M McDermott CITRMS
Data Security Manager
Reynolds and Reynolds