[Dataloss] Personal data found along side road in Tate County MS

Henry Brown hbrown at knology.net
Fri Jul 11 01:31:42 UTC 2008

 From Channel 24 news in Memphis TN
http://tinyurl.com/5b3yn7
Eyewitness News Everywhere Uncovers the personal information of
hundreds, maybe even thousands of people - dumped along a Mid-South
road.  We even found W-2 forms, tax forms with people's names, addresses
and social security numbers.  Investigators in Tate County are trying to
figure out how the papers got there.

[...]

Financial records, shipping order forms, and W-2's of former employees,
personal information that Davis says was handled irresponsibly.
"Stupidity on the person that threw it out on the road.  The people who
disposed of these, there should be some legal action against them, but
to me that's mismanagement," said Davis.

Many of the records are from Liberty Furniture, a North Carolina based
company with Mid-South ties to Cromcraft - a furniture warehouse in Tate
County.

"There all from North Carolina, how did they get here?  This is
Mississippi.  We got some strong wind, but they ain't that strong," says
Davis.

Even Cromcraft employees were shocked when we brought this to their
attention.  Most of the W-2's are from the late 1970's and early 80's.
And we're told Liberty Furniture went out of business more than twenty
years ago.

While the company is no longer around, some of the people are.  And
personal information like their social security number will never change
- making them easy targets for identity theft.

[...]