[Dataloss] POTENTIAL data leakage from Wichita KS Medical group

Henry Brown hbrown at knology.net
Wed Jul 9 19:06:43 UTC 2008

http://www.kansascw.com/Global/story.asp?S=8643448

The Wichita Radiological Group received an anonymous call saying their
patient records may have been stolen. On Monday, the executive director
reported the information to Wichita police.

According to the police report, the caller claims a former employee
stole patient records before being fired from the Wichita Radiological
Group. The caller said the former employee is now using patients'
personal and financial information to pay bills.

The radiological group is not sure how much, if any information was
stolen. So far, they have not found any evidence of the theft. But tens
of thousands of patient records were in the database could have been
compromised.

An attorney for the Wichita Radiological Group tells Eyewitness News
they have launched an internal investigation. The group changed internal
passwords to make sure no more records are accessed.

Wichita police say they need identity theft victims from the case to
come forward before they can proceed in their investigation.

[...]
Statement from the Wichita Radiological Group:

"We are aware that allegations have been made regarding the actions of a
former employee.  The allegations were made by an anonymous caller and,
to date, we have not uncovered any evidence of wrongdoing.  However, we
take these matters seriously and, as a result, have reported the
allegations to the Wichita police and are conducting an internal
investigation.  We have safeguards in place to protect the privacy and
confidentiality of our patients' information, which safeguards meet or
exceed the requirements of federal and state law.  In the event our
investigation reveals that patient information was used or disclosed in
violation of the law, we will take appropriate action and will notify
those patients affected.  We would emphasize to the public that the
person alleged to have been involved did not have access to any
patients' medical charts."

[...]