[Dataloss] (update) UT: U. patient records recovered

Al Mac Wheel macwheel99 at wowway.com
Thu Jul 3 15:33:09 UTC 2008

I agree, but it is also OS dependent what can be done, since different OS
have different features for media support.
Plus the market can demand something better.  Look at the growth in
encrypted backup support.

I once got a tape which my OS refused to load.
"This tape was created by PACIFIC, who is not a user on your system."
Since I had security officer access, I created user PACIFIC on our system,
and was able to load the tape.
With IBM media, it is an issue of who owns the data, and who has what
access privileges.  User PACIFIC has access privileges.  No other IBM OS
will accept that data unless that computer system has a user by that name.

The # of usages XX,XXX I believe is related to looking at the magnetics of
the media & doing an estimate from the wear, which is why I say I do not
believe the accuracy is good enough for this purpose.  If it was, the
backup log would record # usages, the restore log would record #, we would
get an error message if difference is unexpected.

There is a heck of a lot more on the volume than the serial #.  Right now
with IBM OS there's a date component ... "You are restoring from backup
made 6/22 ... your most recent backup was 7/2" in other words it recognizes
that we are not restoring from the latest backup media.