[Dataloss] Seattle Wa. company looses laptop

Henry Brown hbrown at knology.net
Mon Feb 11 16:23:21 UTC 2008

http://www.pogowasright.org/article.php?story=20080210130455236

Computer stolen from Administrative Systems, Inc. contained sensitive
personal information

A desktop computer stolen from an Administrative Systems, Inc. (ASI)
office in Seattle on December 29th contained names and sensitive
information about customers or employees of several of the firm's
clients: Continental American Medical, EyeMed Vision/Kelly Services
Vision, and Jefferson Pilot Financial Dental.

ASI provides third party administrative services to insurance and
financial firms, such as processing employee applications for insurance
coverage, issuing of insurance plans and employee certificates, managing
premium billing and collection for insurance plans, responding to
customer service requests and other record-keeping functions.

Individuals who were affected by the theft were notified by letter on
February 9th.

According to a web site created to provide some information and
resources about the incident, personal details may have included name,
date of birth, mailing address, and Social Security number, depending on
the service being provided. According to ASI, information on the stolen
computer did not include credit card information or driver's license
numbers.

In its notification letter, ASI did not indicate whether the data were
encrypted nor why it took over a month for individuals to be notified of
the theft, but the letter signed by William J. Hill, President of
Administrative Systems, Inc., noted that "We have tightened our security
measures to provide greater protection for the information we maintain
and are working closely with local authorities to minimize future risks."

[...]